Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Memes and blogs


Blogs and memes go hand in hand, spreading virally around the Net faster than zombies make fresh zombies in bad horror movies (or Stormwind, until yesterday). Although my intent with this blog is to be a little more professional than my long-abandoned personal blog, memes are part of the blogosphere. It's a core element of Web 2.0 which, through the Baker's Dozen, inspired me to get back to blogging (maybe).

And besides: I'm a gamer at heart and that means I rise to a challenge. NP of A Coffee-Stained Writer tagged me; I could not fail to respond. It elicited a major SoaBwtf moment, immediately followed by laughter. So here we go.

Here are the rules for the game.

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5. Let each person know they've been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Random Factoid #1: I repaired my car using obsidian-blade stone tools. No, I'm not going to explain -- it would be like explaining a magic trick and you'd say "oh, well that."

Random Factoid #2: When I was about 10, I declared I was going to be a Renaissance man and do something of everything. Gender issues aside, my dad lectured me sternly that jack of all trades was master of none. I respect his opinion, then and now, but I've spent most of my life proving him to be mostly wrong, scoring successes, recognition, respect and awards as artist, writer, editor, entrepreneur and ne'er-do-well free-roaming intellectual and basketcase weirdo. If I didn't know something of everything, I couldn't illustrate as well as I do, write as well as I do, or be a decent reference librarian. And I have half a lifetime yet to go, assuming I don't keel over from exhaustion.

Random Factoid #3: I've been known to run with scissors. I have the scar on my knee to prove it.

Random Factoid #4: I haven't had my TV on in well over a year. It's not that I disdain it per se -- I know I'm failing to keep tabs on popular culture that I should pay attention to. I simply find it too passive and unengaging compared to gaming, where I hang with friends and where I am an integral part of the plotline and the outcome.

Random Factoid #5: I've been published in short fiction and non-fiction, and always thought I'd be a writer long before I'd ever be a working artist/illustrator. Yet I made my name as the latter, and only just finished my first novel-length work.

Random Factoid #6: Three Cardigan Welsh Corgis are my family: "the corgi with the tail" (ie not the Queen's dogs).



Since I had a hand creating the Baker's Dozen (the gaming section is mine, d'oh), I'll tag some likely folks who are participating there .... purely in the interest of continuing their Web 2.0 education, of course. Or maybe because they might actually enjoy it.


Lisa of Bunkermentality

Cathy of
The 13 Things Blog

Amber of Intellectual Freedom's Last Outpost

Mira of Vegetarian Ninja Librarian

Gina of
1/2 Marathon Training 2009

and Jen, who I have to tag by email since she didn't post her URL.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

"or Stormwind"

Ah! A woman after my own heart! I play WoW myself!

Liz said...

HA! I knew there was a reason I liked you. Well, okay, you write a blog I find intriguing too. Glad to have stumbled across you!