Saturday, March 7, 2009

Life accelerates, and with it comes some pretty amazing things.

For well over a year I have been developing an independent research study on 21st C skills that might be acquired in World of Warcraft -- which I've been playing for 4.5 years -- that might translate to real life. That survey is now live, available at http://tinyurl.com/SkillsSurvey until the end of April 2009. There is an opt-in for a WoW timecard as a thank you for participation. Anyone who plays WoW now or has ever played is eligible. All ages are welcome; minors with parental permission. Passing the word along to other players is deeply appreciated -- your guild's website, your non-gamer friends who don't play but know others who might, friends, students, relatives, co-workers, you name it. The research protocols were developed while I was still at university, according to standard research protocols. Because I have completed my degree, the actual research is now being completed under the auspices of Dr. Chris Johnson and the 21st Century Learning Group LLC, a private research and education firm.

And within the last month, I have been tapped to become the newest columnist and blogger for the venerable publication, Library Journal. Originally launched 132 years ago by Melvil Dewey himself (he of the Dewey Decimal system), LJ's previous games columnist had bowed out of the job at about the time I finally followed through a long-delayed query from the editor. Serendipity! We swiftly agreed to work together. My first post should go up on Sunday or Monday.

And boy, do I have a stack of things to talk about: game advocacy, the crossover of literature and games, unusual programming ideas, what's hot and what's not, gaming history, the academic studies that discuss the pros and cons of video gaming and its effects, the media reports linking game-playing with (take your pick) improved leadership qualities or murderous rampages... the whole nine yards. A lot of it will be about gaming in libraries; a lot of it will be tangential to that, so that non-library folk will also find substance and interest in what I'm talking about -- okay, that's the plan, anyway. You'll have to check it out, to find out. "Games, Gaming and Gamers -- In and Out of the Library."

Not much fiction writing going on right now. I have a lot on my plate.

A friend is helping me rework my cobwebby website, finally. It is moving off the old Oakheart site completely. I'll keep the new site under wraps until it's ready to launch. I can't believe it's taking me this long to get it up and running!! Without Team Preston, it wouldn't even be this far on.

No comments: